So lets have a look at the best automatic dog feeders; we have only listed the ones that have scored highly on Amazon so you can read the great reviews from other dog owner customers and their experiences with the automatic dog feeders below.
An automatic dog feeder is fantastic for those who are away from home all day and are unable to feed their dogs. Automatic dog feeders are not just for feeding your dogs whilst away, they also offer some pretty remarkable things such as cameras for video and photos, interactive games to keep your dogs busy and entertained plus much more.
We are going to have a look at each feature that automatic dog feeders offer so you can fully understand the full potential they bring and choose the right one that fit your and your dogs needs.
The ability to feed your dog whilst you are away is the main feature of these devices and the main reason the majority of people will buy them. When choosing which is the best automatic dog feeder it is best to decide on what your price range or budget is. The cheaper end of the price range contains feeders that do the job of feeding your pets but without the bells and whistles. All will have a programmable feature allowing you to specify times throughout the day to dispense the food.
The mid range automatic dog feeders come with a few more features that really do make a world of difference. Such as offering wet food as well as dry food for your hungry pooch. This option will usually come with airtight compartments ensuring the food stays fresh for longer.
The higher range automatic dog feeders really do seem like they are something from the future. They come with fully hd video cameras, iphone apps, interactive games and the ability to have two way conversations with your dogs. They offer a full smart home experience giving you the peace of mind that your doggies are safe and well fed whilst you are away from home.
How to choose the best automatic dog feeder that is right for you?
In choosing the right automatic dog feeder for you first identify what exactly you would like from the feeder. Do you need a dog feeder to provide food just once a day or is it several meals? Would you like the dog feeder to dispense just dry dog food, wet dog food or both? The following points should help in identifying what your needs are and then which type of automatic dog feeder you require.
Scheduling – This is probably one of the most important factors for most and one that varies quite a bit with the different automatic dog feeders available out there. The more basic feeders offer only a single scheduled feeding time whilst the top range feeders not only offer the ability to schedule multiple feeding times but also different portions sizes to fit all dietary needs and habits.
Portion size – Automatic dog feeders usually can be put into two categories when it comes to portion sizes. The more basic automatic dog feeder will dispense a standard portion size into a bowl at a pre-scheduled time. The other more advanced category allows you to either manually provide the portion size and there is a door or flap that opens to reveal the bowl or there are some feeders that allow to program the size of the portion at that given time.
Type of food – If it’s just dry dog food that you need dispensing from the automatic dog feeder than you won’t have any trouble choosing the best one for you as that is the basic and most common type of dog food dispensed. If however you would like wet dog food as well then make sure you choose the dog feeder that has that option. You can also have the option of air tight compartments and the ability to keep the food cold with the more expensive options.
Additional features – Now that we have gone through the all-important scheduling, types of food and portion sizes, how about we look at all the extra cool features. Some of the automatic dog feeders below may amaze you with what they can do. Things such as being able to dispense food via a touch of a button on an app on your smart phone. The ability to have a conversation with your dog or watch them live via HD live streaming. Some great features that provide a peace of mind as well as being high practical for when you a e away
Best Automatic Dog Feeders
Lower Price Range
A look at dog feeders in the lower price range that do the job of feeding your dogs well but don’t come with the extra features that the more expensive dog feeders offer.
The Oxgord Automatic Dog Feeder is good option for the lower end of a budget and one that doesn’t have all the extra features which some people may not. Although it doesn’t have all the extra bells and whistle it does very well at what it does do, in dispensing dry food. The Oxgord does have some nice little features though that puts it apart from the other simple dry food dispensers. It has a built in voice recorder and speaker which allows you to pr record your voice which is a nice touch and is a great way to call your dog over for feeding so that you can keep to your dog’s routine. The tray has a in built sensor that acts a jam proof mechanism, preventing the feeding tray from overloading. We like the LCD display which is both simple and intuitive allowing you to simply program portion sizes and feeding times.
Mid Price Range
The automatic dog feeders in the mid price range that we have listed give you a few more extra features, all have great reviews and are best sellers on Amazon.
The PetSafe Automatic Feeder is currently the best seller on Amazon in the automatic feeders section and we think it thoroughly deserves that honour! The Pet Safe.
- Programmable feeder can schedule up to 12 meals a day
- Flexible meal portions from 1/8-cup to 4 cups
- Patented conveyor system can accommodate dry and semi-moist foods of different shapes and sizes
- Slow Feed Mode dispenses meals greater than 1/8 cup over 15 minutes to prevent eating too fast
- Immediate feed mode dispenses next set meal instantly
- Requires (4) D Batteries (not included); Optional power adaptor sold separately
- Pause Feed Mode temporarily stops feeding without losing programmed feed schedule
- This dog and cat feeder can schedule up to 6 meals a day.System keeps running even replacing new batteries.
- Flexible meal portions maximum from 1/8-cup to 4 cups per meal,each feeding food can exact to 2-3 grams and exact feeding time to minutes.
- Built in Voice Recorder and Speaker : Record your voice 12 seconds to call your pets for 6 meals a day.
- Prevent Food Locking and Spills : Built in infrared detection can prevent the food locking, let your pets can enjoy the meals. This system can accommodate different shapes dry and semi-moist foods, but the food size can not over 0.39″ * 0.39″(1 cm*1 cm), otherwise the food may be stuck in the hole.
- Ultra Low Power Consumption : Requires (4) D Alkaline Batteries (not included) 3 Pieces.Suggest Amazon brand battery and you can keep for over 6 months.
Automatic Dog Feeders – Higher Price Range
The automatic dog feeders in this category really are more of a smart home hub and come with an array of features that will amaze you and your dogs.
The Feed and Go Smart Pet Feeder really excels in its ability to dispense food, treats or medication. It has 6 easy to clean trays (dishwasher proof) that can dispense both wet and dry food either via the app or via programming. It is designed to avoid being knocked over thanks to its low profile design which also makes it look very cool! The trays are air tight ensuring the food remains fresh. The camera can be accessed via the app. The Feed And Go really is one of the best pet cameras!
- Requires a compatible iPhone running iOS 8 or higher. The SmartFeeder currently does not support Android devices.
- The SmartFeeder lets you manage feeding times, portion sizes, proper ingredients, and have your pet’s food delivered to your doorstep.
- Petnet App Features: Remote and scheduled feedings, manage portions, receive notifications and food delivery.
- Device Features: 5-7 lb food capacity, machine washable food hopper and stainless steel bowl, rechargeable backup battery
- Food Compatibility: Portion Sizes: 1/16 – 1 1/2 cups, Hopper Capacity: 5lbs – 7lbs food, Kibble Sizes: dry food 1/8″ – 5/8″ in diameter, works best with round kibble
- Connection: Wi-Fi connection 2.4 Ghz
- What’s included: SmartFeeder, charge cable, user guide
- Not recommended for dogs over 50 pounds