Are you looking to contain your feline friend in a defined perimeter or just looking for a fence to help with the training. Well, if it were a few years ago, you’d practically have one choice – a physical fence around your yard! Now, enter the new era and you have an in-ground electric fence, an invisible option that works just as well (or even better) as the traditional one. This time however, there are no visible wires and you don’t have to spend thousands to have it set up around your property.
To guide you through so that you can get your dogs the best in-ground electric fence that they deserve, we have compiled some informative information in regards to these fences, and, of course, 7 amazing options you can get today. It’s time to keep your pets safe and have some peace of mind!
This article is dedicated to in-ground dog fences where you bury wires to set the perimeter. Another option that you maybe interested in though is the wireless dog fence option.
What is an in-ground electric dog fence?
Sometimes referred to as an invisible dog fence, an In-ground electric dog fence is a dog containment system that comes with an electrical wire to be buried underground, a receiver collar and a monitoring device .The buried wires are meant to create an invisible boundary that is electrically charged, forming an unseen fence around your yard. With a digital connection between the monitoring devices, the boundary signal from the buried wires and the collar that goes around your pet’s neck, the in-ground electric fence is able to keep your dog safe within your property. It’s a technology that anyone with dogs would love!
Why use one?
Let’s be honest, keeping your feline friend happy and safe within your yard takes a lot of effort. You might choose to go for the traditional above the ground fence that provide a physical obstacle, but you might be missing a lot with an in-ground electric fence. You are likely to spend more money to get the traditional one, not to mention take hours, if not days to have it set up. No one wants that! Fortunately the alternative which is the use of in-ground electrical fence is not only attractive but also very convenient.
Here’s a brief look at why you should get one of these fences for your pet:
- With an in-ground fence, you get to spend less time and money to get it up and running.
- After hours of training your dog, you get peace of mind knowing that your precious pooch has the freedom to play without feeling so limited.
- Flexibility! These fences allow you to adjust the signal and expand your boundary whenever you want. It’s simply a sure way of ensuring happiness for you and controlled freedom for your four legged friend.
How do they work?
In-ground dog fences work in a rather interesting way. They incorporate a technology that everyone with dog pets should adopt without hesitation. They work on a system of electrical signal communication between the three major components. The first one is the receiver attached to your dog, and then there is the monitoring device that is based in a room inside your home; and lastly is the line boundary that you set up.
Since it’s not a physical fence, the underground wire emits an electrical charge that aligns to the boundary of your yard. This allows you to train your dog such that whenever it approaches the edges of your property, an irritating vibration from the receiver collar will keep him from wandering past the boundary. Amazing, right? Well, there’s more!
Most pet owners are usually concerned about the tone or vibration that their pets receive. However, the static stimulation or vibration is neither harmful nor devastating to your precious pet, so don’t worry. It is merely a safe and irritating reaction that is designed to keep your dog from straying and getting lost. Besides, you can set up the static correction level depending on the size and temperament level of your dog.
Difference between in-ground and wireless dog fences
How they work
First of all, the wireless dog fence’s components are pretty much similar to the in-ground system. The difference is that, while the in-ground systems require electrical wires to be buried along your boundary, a wireless system works by sending a signal to the collar receiver on your dog. Whenever the signal is lost or interfered with, the collar activates to keep your dog from straying past the boundary you have set up on the monitoring device.
Landscape and Coverage
With wireless dog fences, the transmitter can only cover up to around 25 acres while the in-ground fence gives you more coverage with a maximum of 100+ acres.
Wireless systems also require a relatively flat landscape that is free from obstruction. The in-ground, fence on the other hand, is more accurate since your pet’s collar receiver will only be activated when the signal from the boundary is picked up. You won’t have to worry about accidentally activating the collar.
When it comes to installation, the wireless fence takes it since it’s not only easy to install but also portable. You can set it up within a few hours without the need of digging tools that are required with in-ground electric dog fences. But as much as installing in-ground fences takes more time and effort, it offers more flexibility allowing you to configure the boundary to fit your property just the way you want.
You can find out more here on which is the best wireless dog fence.
Best In Ground Electronic Dog Fence
PetSafe is a brand close to the hearts of many pet lovers. Since the early days, it has established trust among pet owners across the globe as a result of its goal of ensuring pet safety.
The PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence is a good example of what the brand is capable of. It’s what you need if you have a high spirited pet in your yard. It offers safety that you can rely on for any dog. When it comes to installation, this in-ground radio fence makes everything easy. It comes with 500 feet of boundary line with about 50 flags for your boundary that are capable of covering up to a 1/3 acre. Furthermore, the pet collar receiver is lightweight and adjustable with a recommended pet neck size of 6 to 28 inches.
Having a stubborn pet can be a huge problem for most pet owners. Fortunately, this in-ground fence system has your back. Its collar receiver is waterproof and rugged making it ideal for pets that enjoy playing outside. The recommended weight for this system is for pets that are 30 pounds and above.
If you have a dog that has hearing problems, you need not worry as this system is built with a warning tone that works like a pet pager.
- Offers 1/3 of an acre coverage that is expandable to 25 acres
- The collar receiver is not only adjustable but also designed to fit 8 pound pets and more
- One transmitter can be used on multiple pets as long as they have a PetSafe-In-Ground collar receiver
- Ideal for containing high spirited dogs with up to four levels of static correction
- It has an indicator for low battery
- Waterproof design that also includes a battery capacity of 9 v
- Waterproof design for durability
- Capable of accommodating multiple pets
- Warning vibration included for dogs with hearing difficulty
- Adjustable collar
- The installation might be a little complicated for novice users
The PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence is a great pick for pet owners that are out looking for an ideal fence for their high spirited dog. Although the installation might take you sometime, there’s no doubt you will love what this in-ground dog fence has to offer!
Second on our list is another PetSafe in ground fence that promises to make the relationship between you and your pet stronger and better. As an industry leader, it has a long standing reputation for providing quality products.
For those looking for a containment system that does not disappoint in terms of power and reliability, the PetSafe Rechargeable In-Ground Fence is a great choice. It stands out from other in-ground fences thanks to its rechargeable collar battery that charges within hours, lasting for up to 2 months before needing another charge.
This system gives you the freedom to use it without worrying about battery replacements or low battery situations. Furthermore, with multiple collars you can use it with multiple pets as you control them from a single monitoring device. Now, isn’t that what convenience is all about?
If your pet loves the great outdoors, this containment system has you covered. It offers coverage of up to 25 acres and comes with flags and additional wires. Your pouch can have all the fun playing freely in your yard with an adjustable collar receiver that is designed for pets with a neck size of 6 to 26 inches.
The transmitter to this in-ground electric fence transmits a signal that is gentle on your four legged friend. Plus you can easily adjust the levels to find what works for your pet.
- Allows you to customize the boundary the way you like
- Comes with a surge protector to keep power surges and lightning strikes from harming your pet
- Expert customer service available
- Expandable coverage of up to 25 acres
- The package includes additional wires and some flags for the boundary
- The collar is adjustable to pets with 5 pounds and above
- Fast charging collar receiver that lasts long
- The collar receiver is designed to be waterproof
- It has tone only mode static correction with up to 4 levels.
- Has a capacity for handling multiple collars
- Durable waterproof design
- Safe for pets with its surge protector
- Expandable coverage
- Rechargeable collar receiver
- Accommodates multiple pets
- Easy to install and use
- It takes some time for pets to get used to this in-ground fence.
The PetSafe Rechargeable In-Ground Fence is what most pet owners are looking for when it comes to convenience and safety for their furry friends. If you have more than one pet, this is the system you need. The only slight turnoff is the fact that your pet will take some time to get used to it but that is a small price to pay for the safety it gives to your pets.
SportDOG prides itself for being knowledgeable about dogs since its main focus is on dogs and hunting. Over the years, it has managed to build a name in the in-ground fence system manufacturing by creating powerful transmitters that serve pet owners well.
The SportDOG 100-Acre In-Ground Pet Fence System is an example of what a reliable containment system ought to look like. Built with the safety standards that can only be expected from a high quality manufacture, this in-ground fence is an affordable alternative to above the ground fence.
With coverage of about 1/3 acre, this tool offers allot of flexibility for your pet to have freedom while playing. Even if you have a high spirited pouch that likes to get wet, the collar receiver won’t fail as it is designed to be waterproof. It also features a lightning protection mechanism to keep your furry friend safe from the elements with a recommended dog weight of 10 pounds and above. You can be sure that this in-ground electric fence will contain even the most stubborn pet.
In terms of transmission, it features a transmitter that is capable of accommodating an unlimited number of pets while still maintaining its reliability. It can cover up to 100 acres if you buy extra flag kits and wires. Furthermore, if a wire happens to break after installation, you will have an easy time identifying it and replacing it since the transmitter comes with an in-built wire break alarm.
- It has up to four static stimulation levels for easy control
- Comes with a vibration or tone mode
- Expandable coverage of up to 100 acres
- Package includes boundary wires and flags for 1/3 an acre
- Has an in built lightening protector
- Has an alarm on the transmitter for when the wires breaks
- Prevents dogs from running down the battery with its anti-linger feature
- Can be used with multiple pets
- Expandable usage with multiple pets for convenience
- Easy to use with 4 levels of static correction
- Safe for pets with its lightening protection mechanism
- Wide and expandable coverage
- Rugged and waterproof design for durability
- Simple and easy to install
- The static stimulation only goes up to 4 levels which might not be enough for some dogs
The SportDOG 100-Acre In-Ground Pet Fence System is built to allow pet owners to have a better relationship with their furry friends. It comes with great features that offer value for pet lovers and safety that even puppies can be happy with. Even though the static stimulation only goes up to 4 levels, this system is still reliable for any pet owner.
eXtreme Dog Fence offers top quality containment system that give flexibility and quality functionality to dog owners. It manufactures products with the pet owner in mind. In fact, its DIY designs are a first of their kind in the market.
If you are looking for the ultimate DIY installation of in ground electric dog fence, go no further than eXtreme Dog Fence. It offers a simple and easy way to train your four legged friend, giving him the discipline to stay within the boundary you set up.
For those living in neighbourhoods that have neighbours using in-ground fences as well, this system offers the option of changing your radio frequency. The problem of signal interference between different in-ground dog fences can be a thing of the past thanks to its feature rich transmitter.
When it comes to your pets comfort, this system comes with a lightweight collar receiver that is also compact in size to make it easy for your dog to wear it around. Plus the collar receiver is also water proof and can work properly even after being submerged under 10 feet of water.
Worried about the size of your dog’s neck? Well this in-ground fence features two different contact points that can fit dogs with short and long hair comfortably. You have peace of mind knowing that your pet is comfortable thanks to the unique comfort covers that prevent irritation on your pet’s neck.
- high quality wire to prevent wire breakage
- compact collar design that is comfortable for pets
- 1/3 acre coverage
- Comes with 5 correction levels
- Easy to install
- Support for set up services included
- Designed for use with a variety of pets
- Adjustable collar for flexibility
- Adjustable frequency to avoid interference
- Waterproof collar design for durability
- Compact lightweight collar for comfort on pets
- It can only cover up to 10 acres
- Expensive but worth it
The eXtreme Dog Fence is a reliable tool for pet owners that value the safety of their pets. It comes with quality features that go beyond safety to give your pet comfort. The coverage only goes for up to 10 acres but still delivers a strong signal with an adjustable radio frequency. The fact that it’s available in a variety of sizes and patterns makes it worth the price.
PetSafe containment systems are known for their quality functionality and high reliability. It is for this reason that we had to feature another PetSafe product on our list. Its designs are made to suit the needs of all pet owners and this one is no exception.
For pet owners looking for a small and inexpensive in-ground dog fence, the PetSafe Basic In-Ground Fence is an ideal option. It covers 1/3 of an acre and with additional wires and flags; it can be expanded up to 5 acres.
It is easy to use and only takes about 2 weeks of training for your dog to get used to it. With a water proof receiver on your dog, you can rest assured that the collar is built to last and perform.
Also the collar receiver is adjustable and can fit pets that weigh 8 pounds and more. Worried about the neck size of your canine? Worry no more since this in-ground dog fence is made to fit neck sizes ranging from 6 to 28 inches.
- Comes with a low battery indicator
- The collar receiver includes a 2 month battery life
- The receiver is adjustable to fit a variety of dog sizes
- Customizable design that is easy to install according to your landscape
- Lightweight receiver that has 4 static stimulation levels
- Has a tone only mode
- Lightweight collar receiver for comfort on pets
- Waterproof design for durability
- Long battery life for reliability
- Customizable layout for convenience
- It is only expandable up to five acres
For pet owners looking for wide coverage, the 5 acre capacity that the PetSafe Basic In-Ground Fence offers might not be enough. However it is an affordable and ideal for pet owners with a small area to cover.
If you are looking to get your pet a cost effective in-ground electrical fence, PetsN’all is what most pet lovers will go for. It manufactures containment systems that are safe and reliable.
The PetsN’all Electronic Pet Fence System is a must have for those seeking a simple containment system for their cute four legged friend. It makes use of incremental static charge to train your dog to stay within the perimeter you have set up.
The package comes with a detailed and easy to follow instructions manual, making installation a breeze. Equipped with its in built safety settings, you can rest assured that your dog is safe and sound.
- Coverage of up to 27000 square feet
- Allows control of the signal field
- Adjustable static correction that intensifies with the distance of the pet towards the boundary
- Comes with a rechargeable collar
- Capable of handling multiple collars simultaneously
- Electronic fencing that is capable of keeping your dog in the yard
- Rechargeable collar for convenience
- Adjustable signal field for precise control
- Ample coverage for your dog
- Keeps your pet safe in the yard with in-built safety settings
- Easy to install
- Unfortunately it is not designed to contain stubborn pets
- The coverage is not expandable
The PetsN’all Electronic Pet Fence System is a great in-ground fence especially if you want to have more control and easy usage. It covers a smaller area when compared to its competitors and might not work well with stubborn pets, but for pet owners with specific needs, it’s worth the sacrifice, plus it’s affordable.
Lastly on our list is yet another PetSafe containment system that is specially designed d for pet lovers with an eye for deluxe in-ground fences, capable of satisfying the needs of their little furry friend.
If you own a petite four legged friend that enjoys her freedom from the leash once in a while, the Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence is what you should get. It allows the little love of your life to move and play freely while giving you peace of mind about her safety.
When it comes to installation, you will only need a weekend to have it up and running. It is capable of covering up to 25 acres so that you can choose between keeping your dog close and allowing them their freedom anytime.
It also comes with static correction that goes up to 4 levels plus a tone only mode included. This way you will be able to set the static correction level to fit your pet’s size. Furthermore the receiver collar is waterproof for durability and it is adjustable to fit comfortably on your pet.
- Package includes a receiver collar , wire and flags with a transmitter
- Four level static correction
- It has a tone only mode
- Adjustable collar receiver starting from 6 to 26 inches
- Comes with a lightning protection that is built inside
- Easy to install with a training DVD guide included
- Safe for little pets
- Adjustable static correction levels to fit your pet size
- Quick and easy installation with available guide
- Waterproof design for durability
- It’s not ideal for big dogs
- Slightly expensive
- The signal only covers up to 25 acres
As the name suggests, the Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence is ideal for your small pouch. It offers ample signal coverage those most pet lovers with little dog’s won’t mind. Although it is a bit pricey, it offers reliable quality and functionality that is worth having.