If your dog seems a little stiff or uncomfortable when getting up from lying on his dog bed then it could be a sign that it is time to get a new one. An Orthopedic dog bed to be precise! Or maybe you just want to provide that little extra comfort for your loved doggie that an orthopedic dog bed can bring. This article will outline the best orthopedic dog bed and will help you choose which is the best one for you.
What Is An Orthopedic Dog Bed?
Whilst there is no scientific or regulatory requirements for a dog bed to be labeled as orthopedic, we deem a dog bed to be classed orthopedic if the following are true; Designed to support the joints, back, and overall body and if it reacts and supports the dog’s weight in a superior fashion compared to conventional dog beds.
How To Choose The Best Orthopedic Dog Bed?
In order for you to ensure you choose the best orthopedic dog bed for your dog, you can take into the account the following points. There are lot’s of lower quality dog beds out there and also dog beds that claim to be orthopedic when in fact that’s far from the truth!
However you can keep in mind some of these points below and your dog will thank you for it! We have based our reviews and chosen the best orthopedic dog beds based on the following criteria:
- Size of dog bed – These may seem a bit obvious but it is important that you choose the right size of dog bed so that your dog does not have to squeeze on the bed or have limbs overhanging. Usually the product description will indicate for which breed the size of bed is suitable for so make sure you look out for that.
- Thickness – In our view the thicker the better! Essentially you want to avoid any of the dog’s body touching the floor once on the dog bed. Usually a minimum of 3 inches thick is a good starting point and 5 inches thick for elderly dogs. Anything less we think won’t provide the support needed for your dog and may flatten over time.
- Durability – This goes without saying really. When buying pretty much anything for your dog, if it is a kind of product where your dog may chew on (such as dog toys, chews, beds etc) then you need to ensure you choose a good quality, durable product otherwise it just ain’t going to last long! Especially when it comes to expensive items such as orthopedic dog beds where it just simply is too much money to keep on replacing. So look out for extra design features to protect things like zippers and that add to the longevity of the bed.
- Water resistant – Whilst this one isn’t always a necessity it certainly is a bonus to look out for especially if you have a dog that is prone to accidents or have puppies in your household. It is alo helps to prolong the life of the bed as you will not need to wash it so often and generally it will last longer.
- Machine washable – Fairly obvious one here but again it just makes your life a lot easier knowing you can wash the bed or its cover in the washing machine. Look out for “removable machine washable covers.”
- Cost – Similar to most products, usually the better the quality means a higher price tag. So consider and weigh up how much you want to spend and what your budget is and choose the best dog bed within that budget. In our recommendations below we have also included a best cheap orthopedic dog bed for those who have a smaller budget.
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed
SO which is the best orthopedic dog bed? Well in terms of the best overall, which takes into account the above points, uur star choice which we can proudly call the best orthopedic dog bed is…
The Dogbed4less Orthopedic Dog Bed really scores top marks in the criteria we look at when choosing the best orthopedic dog bed.
Size – This orthopedic dog bed comes in a very handy 7 sizes! Thats un heard of really in the world of dog beds! So no matter if you have a Chihuahua or a Grate Dane, you can find the right size for your dog.
Thickness – Remember we said above the minimum thickness you should look for is 3 inches? Well this super comfy long lasting dog bed has a thickness of 4 inches which is a great thickness and should ensure your dog won’t touch the floor and will give the support they need. The high density 100 percent memory foam pad with that thickness should do well not flattening over time.
Durability – A key one for us especially considering dogs have a habit to chew on items like these. This dog bed does really well in this department with its extra durable gusset style zipper which is also protected by an extra eyelid cover which is a nice touch adding that extra bit of protection to the zipper which usually is the first port of call when chewing on the bed.
Water resistant – Whilst we think water resistant material is more of a bonus really, this dog bed really excels here. It comes with a internal waterproof zipper case to protect the memory foam. This is separate from the outside cover, which is machine washable, which we think makes maintaining and cleaning the dog bed a real breeze.
Machine washable – The durable Micro Suede cover is washable and dryable and what is really nice is that you also get a free brown suede non slip bottom external cover which is great to have for when youa re washing the main cover.
Cost – With it’s top notch quality materials and design including the quality of the memory foam combined with the extra design features we think this orthopedic dog bed is price extremely fairly and for its price you won’t find a better bed.
Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For Large Dogs
If you are looking for large Orthopedic dog beds for breeds such as Labs, Boxers, all the way up to Great Danes then this is the the best Orthopedic dog bed for you.
Big Barker Pillow Top Orthopedic Dog Bed
The Big Barker orthopedic dog bed is hand made in the USA and uses only the best quality materials especially when it comes to the foam so you know it wont flatten over time. The dog bed is hand crafted in a small workshop by craftman with over 30 years experience. They have made thousands of dog beds by hand and this version was the result of customers requesting an orthopedic dog bed for large dogs that doesnt flatten over time, is ieasy to wash and clean and looks great in the house. We thi nk theyu have excelled in all of those points!
Best CHEAP Orthopedic Dog Bed
The dog bed that we have chosen as the best Orthopedic dog bed is certainly a high quality, top rate dog bed, however it also has a high price tag. So with that in mind we have also chosen a dog bed under the category of best cheap orthopedic dog bed. Whilst this selection is also a high quality dog bed that receives fantastic reviews on Amazon, it also is at a lower price.
If you are on a low budget and you are looking for the best cheap orthopedic dog bed then this is the one for you. With over 1000 reviews on Amazon and scoring 4.6 out of 5 that is a great indication there has been thousands of happy customers for this cheap orthopedic dog bed.
The 4 inch thickness and high quality memory foam mattress gives the right amount of orthopedic support. The covers are fully washable and dryable and comes with a non slip bottom. The covers are also anti-microbial giving you that durability, longevity and esae of use you need from a quality bed.