Need help choosing which is the best wireless dog fence for your dogs and home? This guide will help demystify all those niggly questions you may have and help you choose the right options for your particular situation. A wireless dog fence can offer a very good solution if you are in need to contain your dog(s) and unable to erect a permanent fence. They are easy to set up, flexible allowing you to set any parameter you like and are a fantastic tool to train your dog to stay within an area ensuring they are contained and safe.
Another option that you maybe interested in is the in-ground electric dog fence.
Best Wireless Dog Fence 2020
Choosing the best wireless dog fence can be tricky so have a read of our guide below and check out the wireless dog fence reviews so you can choose which is the best dog fence for you and your dogs.
Why A Wireless Dog Fence?
There are 3 main reasons why wireless dog fences are so popular these days:
- Wireless dog fences are a breeze to setup. They are so easy to setup that you could potentially have one up and running within an hour.
- Due to the fact that they have no wires to bury they are extremely low maintenance. You don’t need to worry about any damaged buried wires that can be a real pain.
- Wireless dog fences are designed to be portable meaning you can take them anywhere you want and as they are really easy to setup you can setup a containment area anywhere you want quickly and easily.
How Do Wireless Dog Fences Work?
A wireless dog fence system can be easily explained by looking at it as two parts; the transmitter and the receiver. The transmitter uses radio frequencies to set an adjustable border setting a boundary. Now if the receiver which is contained into the collar goes beyond that boundary then the collar gives the dog an electric shock. Don’t worry though the electric shock is not painful or traumatic.
The transmitter part of the wireless dog fence uses radio signals to set a circular boundary setting the containment area. The size of this containment area or safe zone will depend on which wireless dog fence you purchase as they differ in range but you can expect roughly between a minimum of around 10 ft up to a maximum of about 3 acres.
The receiver part to the wireless dog fence system is stored in a special dog collar that the dogs must wear for the system to work. The dog wearing the collar can freely run around the set safe zone however if they venture close to the correction zone the collar beeps to warn the dog.
If the beep however is not enough of a warning and they continue then the collar will give a mild electric stimulation or ‘electric correction’. This is specifically designed to be uncomfortable, more of splash of water, and does not hurt them.
Best Wireless Dog Fences 2020
So lets take a look at the best wireless dog fence available in 2020. All the wireless dog fences listed below score highly on Amazon and have great reviews so you can check out what other people are saying about them.
Sit boo-boo puts safety and well-being of pets as its top agenda. It views the process of pet owners putting up hidden fences as a partnership that only succeeds through collaboration. Its goal over the years has been to give peace of mind to pet owners by offering tools that are easy to use.
The Sit Boo Boo Secure Pet Invisible Dog Fence epitomizes the safety standards that the brand advocates for, making the training of your dog a breeze. You can use it according to the capacity of your ground thanks to its full customization capacity. If you are planning to use it on the go, you will be glad to know that it’s portable and easy to disassemble according to your needs.
The package includes a waterproof receiver collar that is rechargeable making it a must-have for all occasions. Regarding safety, it features a wireless electric fence that is ideal for training your dog in a safe environment. If you are planning to have more than one pet, you can take advantage of the multiple collars to save time and money.
This wireless dog fence features a unique collar that has a vibration and a shock option for your dog. These two alert options give you freedom to use what your pet quickly responds to. The collar is a good fit for all dog sizes and given that it comes with a rechargeable battery, you won’t have to stock up on battery replacements.
Features and benefits
- Invisible fence cords that do not interfere with your landscape design
- State of the art wave technology on the transmitter
- In-ground fence cords that are easy to install
- Five correction levels that are adjustable for easy and precise training
- The wire can cover up to 1.2 acres
- The boundary area is customizable to any shape for maximum functionality
- Lifetime warranty in case of malfunction
- Includes an easy to read manual
- 5-acre range on the transmitter
- Affordable for most pet owners
- Quality customer care with Lifetime warranty for convenience
- Waterproof collars for durability outdoor
- Easy two hour set up with no wires to bury
- Works best for smaller dogs than big dogs
The Hidden Dog Fence By Sit Boo Boo boasts some great reviews that only mean it is providing value to most pet owners. It features two correction alert modes that make it convenient for those that are looking for variety. Although big pets might not respond well to the vibration alert, you can switch to the shock alert and train your canine companion.
The PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence does one thing and does it well – it helps create the best moments for a variety of pets, ensuring their happiness, safety and most importantly health! Since it opened its doors, its love for pets has grown tremendously, making it one of the most trusted brands out there.
The PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence is a perfect example of what the brand is capable of. It’s one of the newest additions in its wireless dog fence line and delivers some amazing features, including larger coverage area and a rechargeable collar.
When it comes to installation, the wireless fence will not give you a headache. In less than an hour you can have it up and running. And yes, it’s completely portable, meaning that you can use it to contain your feline friends anywhere and anytime. The boundary accuracy is improved over its predecessors, coming with a wobble around 30 percent less. The rechargeable battery that’s made from lithium ion gives you about two weeks of service, with just a single two hours charge. Reliable, right?
The collar of the PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence is significantly smaller, weighing only two ounces. It comes with five correction levels, all of which are set with a button. You can set each individually on your dog, providing sufficient range of correction. You also get short and long prongs to fit your small or long dog respectively.
When it comes to the transmitter, you get cool 0.75 acre coverage, which is good enough to cover a good number of suburban lots. You can install it within 15 minutes by simply plugging in the transmitter, planting the marking flags on the boundaries, and you are ready to begin training your pet.
- Completely portable and wireless with not a single wire to bury.
- Covers around 3.4 acre of land and a radius of 105 feet
- Easily sets up. Can be up and running within an hour or two
- Rechargeable batteries that can charge in two to three hours
- Five levels of static correction on the receiver collar
- Ergonomic design to fit pets with 5 pounds or more weight and 6 inches to 28 inches neck sizes
- Effective system that creates a safe outdoor space for your dogs without necessarily having a physical fence.
- Enhanced boundary responsiveness
- Small and portable wireless collar
- Transmitters can overlap without any problems
- Rechargeable collar for convenience and reliability
- Unfortunately, this wireless dog fence offers only circular boundaries
- The retreat response is a bit long
Just like most products, the PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence has its flaws as well. While it offers only circular boundaries and the retreat response can take some time, there’s no doubt it could be useful for pet owners. The improved boundary responsiveness, portable design, and a rechargeable collar make it a great product.
Once again, PetSafe makes its way to our list and for a good reason. It’s a leading brand that is passionate about pets and their well being, creating life changing products for pets.
The PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System is a must have for anyone looking for an affordable solution to replace buried wire fencing technique. It has a simple but effective radio frequency to help you keep your pet from straying and getting lost.
Love to travel with your pet? No worries. This whole system is portable meaning that you can take it with you to protect your canine friend while on the go. With a waterproof receiver that gives your dog the freedom to play in any climate, there is no doubt that its collar is quite durable. Plus its signal covers a cool 0.5 acres with a 90 feet radius that is sufficient for your four-legged friend to play around with. This circle boundary can be controlled to the size you want allowing you the convenience of full control.
The best part of this system is how easy it is to set it up. You will have more time to train your dog while having fun thanks to the five-minute installation that comes with a simple manual. You don’t have to worry about the batteries running out on you. Thanks to its low battery indicator, you will be a step ahead when it comes to battery replacement.
To make sure this wireless dog fence serves you for a long time, be sure to shelter it at a central spot in the house. Its transmitter signal is strong as it’s designed to penetrate concrete walls. Furthermore, the wireless signal rarely gets interrupted, giving you the reliability you can depend upon. It’s an ideal system that works best for pets that are over 8 pounds. And yes, the five adjustable levels allow you to correct and train even the most stubborn pet.
- Easy installation thanks to its easy plug-in transmitter
- Its circular range covers a wide area of up to 180 feet diameter.
- Does not need buried wires making it easy to set up
- Portable design for easy travel with your pet
- The receiver is water resistance to work in any climate
- Safe 30 second static correction with five minute intervals
- Up to 5 adjustable levels that feature a tone only mode for easy correction and training.
- 50 boundary flags to mark the boundary zone
- An indicator for low battery alerts makes it convenient
- Easy to use with its plug-in transmitter
- Wireless design that is responsive with no need to bury wires
- Water proof design for reliability
- Easily portable
- Adjustable boundary zone
- Only has a circular boundary
- Only covers 0.5 acres
Apart from the fact that the PetSafe wireless fence only offers a circular boundary, and that it only stretches up to only 0.5 acres, it offers lots of benefits that can help protect your pet. The fact that you won’t have to spend a lot of time putting boundary wires underground is a plus. And it’s available in different styles for variety. So if you are a pet owner who needs dog protection especially when out on vacation or when camping with your four-legged companion, this is what you can get.
Friendly pet products lives up to its name as a producer of safe and secure solutions for pets. It offers flexibility with its wireless dog fences, utilizing state of the art techniques to come up with products that can be used to train even the most stubborn pet.
The Friendly Pet Products Wireless Dog Fence with Radio & IN- Ground Cord Electric Wi-Fi Transmitter is built with a correction alert system that suits both big and small dogs. When they walk past the boundary, they get warned to go back to the safe area, and these signals can be adjusted to 5 levels. The system is safe for pets and comes with a lifetime money back guarantee. This tells you one thing – it will perform as expected!
The collars are fully waterproof meaning that you can let your dog play anywhere without worrying about the durability of the collar. This wireless dog fence is well designed with state of the art technology that gives you full control and response.
With 4000 feet of fence cords, this wireless dog fence gives you up to 5 acres coverage. If that doesn’t cut it for you, there is an option of getting extra flags that will allow you to set a wider fence. When it comes to the transmitter, you can be sure not to have any transmitter holes that are common on most cordless systems. Plus you can set it up in any shape to get maximum and efficient performance.
That’s not all with the Friendly Pet Products Wireless Dog Fence. It’s an easy system to install thanks to its wireless in-ground fence transmitter. If you ever get mixed up during installation, you can use the installation guide that is easy to follow. You can also take advantage of their 24/7 on phone support by the brand if you have any queries.
- Expandable coverage up to 5 acres with 4000 feet of cord for flexible functionality
- Designed to remove transmitter holes
- Easy to set up and safe for pets
- Waterproof collars and transmitters
- Easy to install with tools included in the package plus a step by step guide
- Step by step guide for easy installation
- Lifetime warranty for free repairs
- Expandable coverage that is reliable
- Waterproof design for protection against the elements
- No indicator for low battery
- Huge receiver that only works for big pets
Once you get through the step by step guide of installing this wireless dog fence and learn the caveats required, the rest is pretty easy to do. The Friendly Pet Products Wireless Dog Fence provides a great way of keeping an eye on your dog anytime of the day or night.
At this point, it’s pretty obvious that PetSafe goes is one of the unbeaten brands in the wireless dog fences industry. It makes sure that you have all that you need to take good care of your pet.
The Petsafe PIF-300 Wireless 2-Dog Fence Containment System is another revolutionary tool that is not only safe for your cute pet but also a simple containment that your dog can easily get used to. It’s designed to work best with any type of dog, so you don’t have to worry about it fitting.
Its 17.5khz radio signal transmitter is designed to perform as expected. It features three controls that make it easy to use and also give you full control of the transmitter. Also included is a lightweight collar that is responsive to the signal from the transmitter to give your dog the ultimate training required.
This wireless dog fence is easy to install as it doesn’t require you to bury wires on your backyard all weekend long. While setting up, all you need to do is place the transmitter at the centre of your circular boundary, so as to get the best performance.
With a radius of about 90 feet, your pet gets the luxury of space to play and have fun. In case your dog goes past the boundary, the correction will extend infinitely without harming the dog and eventually stop after 30 seconds. This is great for preventing the dog from running through the boundary you have set up.
Furthermore, if you are planning to get an extra dog, you will not have to worry about getting a new transmitter as all that is needed is an extra collar and you are ready to go. Now, isn’t that convenient?
- Designed for pets weighing 8 pounds and above
- A wireless radio-fence that is efficient at pet containment
- Includes a setup and training manual
- The collar receiver is waterproof with its 6-volt battery for power
- It’s safe on pets with a 5 level static correction that offers precise training
- Circular boundary of about ½ an acre
- Light indicator that shows when its working properly and when the battery is low
- Comes with a one year warranty
- 50 boundary flags to mark the boundary and facilitate training
- Easily portable design for travel
- Reliable Indicator for low battery
- Static correction with up to 5 levels that is safe for pets
- Waterproof design for durability
- Flexible functionality as it can be used for two dogs with an extra collar
- Its boundary range is a bit small for some users
- Short time warranty
The Petsafe PIF-300 Wireless 2-Dog Fence Containment System is a must have if you are planning to have more than one four-legged friend. It is easily portable and requires little work to set up making it an ideal wireless dog fence when going camping with your pets. Although it comes with only a one-year warranty and ½ acre range, it is built with high quality that guarantees great functionality without the need for replacement.
FunAce specializes in gadgets and home electronics. It has developed a commitment for providing quality customer service to consumers. Since 2006, its online presence has been growing with quality manufacturing and testing of all its products.
The FunAce Wire-Free Dog Fence is a one dog containment system that is designed to fit any dog with 8 pounds and above. It features neck sizes going from small, medium, large to extra large. With an adjustable coverage area, this wireless dog fence offers ample play area to your lovely pet with up to 100 foot area when on maximum settings.
Installation is a piece of cake with this wireless dog fence. Since its wireless, there is no need to spend precious time burying wires. Its patented compact transmitter is well capable of sending signals to the collar receiver while still being safe for your pet.
Talking of the collar receiver, it has a rechargeable water resistant collar making it a must have when going on an outdoor adventure with your dog. In fact, whenever the battery gets low, you can always stay prepared thanks to its low battery indicator.
Training your pet with this wire-free dog fence is easy. The collar delivers a static shock that is designed to be safe for pets no matter their size. On purchase, you get a guide that will help you troubleshoot any faults that you might encounter with the device.
- An adjustable cover area with up to 1000 feet maximum diameter
- Wireless and cordless design that is easy to install
- Static shock correction that is 100% safe for pets
- Comes with a troubleshooting guide in case of malfunction
- Rechargeable collar receiver with an indicator for low battery
- Water resistant design
- Transmitter supports multiple collars at once
- Easy to use thanks to its troubleshooting guide for support
- Safe and effective for pets
- Waterproof design for reliability in any environment
- Compact and portable build for travel
- Convenient with a light indicator for low battery
- Flexible functionality with its adjustable cover area
- Only works best with big dogs
The FunAce wireless dog fence comes with features that every pet owner wishes for. It can support multiple collars allowing you to have two or more dogs playing freely in your backyard. If you are in the search for a compact wireless dog fence that you can use once in a while, this might be your pick. However, it might not be great for those with small puppies. But if you have big canine companions, there’s no doubt you will love it.
There you have it! If you are looking to go wireless with your dog fences, these are some of the options to consider. Go ahead and compare each, weighing the pros vs the cons to determine the right tone for you.
Bonus – Extra Review:
The Max Tronic wireless dog fence is also worth a mention. Here is why…
The Max Tronic Dog Fence is another fantastic dog fence and comes with a unique feature which is its speed detection feature. So basically that means the faster the dog is moving toward toward the boundary the higher level of intensity is issued. This combined with its proportional shock feature, where the closer the the dog is to the boundary again the higher the intensity of shock, all combine to offer an effective dog fence
Related buying guides and articles: